The 815 Killer

First, take a look at this excellent, and amusing, comic strip. (You may have to click on it to read it clearly and I should point out that I in no way had anything to do with its creation.)






Putting aside the undoubted intentional joke at the crux of this comic strip, it does actually propose an interesting notion that has also occurred to me. Namely: Was Sayid responsible for the murder of Locke (a.k.a Jeremy Bentham)?




I won't belabour the point too much, but allow me to present the evidence. Firstly, as we know, Sayid is working for Ben as his assassin. So when I say Sayid killed Locke, I mean that he was instructed to do so by Ben. (How Ben gets Sayid to agree to something like that is a big ask; but it's not something I would put beyond Ben's manipulative skills.)

But let's make some assumptions.

Assumption Number 1: Ben wants to return to the Island.

Assumption Number 2: Ben requires all of the Oceanic 6 to return to the Island to allow him back.

Assumption Number 3: Locke's death is the single event that allows Ben the potential to unite and return the Oceanic 6 back to the Island. . . and therefore get back there himself.

I guess you can see where I am coming from here. What I am saying is Ben has motive. Locke's death allows him reason to meet with Jack and propose they work together to get the rest back to the Island. I believe Sayid is on this as well. Consider the conversation he had with Hurley when he met him at the Santa Rosa and persuaded him to come with him after he announced that "Bentham" was dead.

SAYID: This isn't a visit. I want you to come with me.

HURLEY: Come with you where?

SAYID: Somewhere safe.

HURLEY: And why would I go anywhere with you? I haven't seen you in, like, forever.

SAYID: Because circumstances have changed.

HURLEY: What circumstances?

SAYID: Bentham's dead.

HURLEY: What?

SAYID: Two days ago.

HURLEY: What happened?

SAYID: They said it was suicide.

HURLEY: What do you mean, they "said" it was suicide? And why are you calling him "Bentham"? His name is-

SAYID: Don't say it. We're being watched.

Sayid's remarks about how he knew it wasn't suicide might be as obvious an indication as he knows it wasn't because he was the one that killed him. But like I said, I don't want to belabour the point. All I will say is that if Season 5 tries to heighten the mystery of 'Who Killed Locke?' as it's major reveal-in-waiting then it becomes more likely that a key character will be directly implicated.

All I'll say is, if turns out to be Sayid, then probably you read it here first!

No comments: